Sunday, February 17, 2019

4. TEACHING PRACTICE


4.1 PROCEDURES OF TEACHING



        Before class discussion, I prepared all the needed multimedia tools throughout the class discussion. For the lesson plan, I submitted the one I have translated from Bahasa to  English and also a lesson plan in a Philippine format which is called DLL (Daily Lesson Log).

         For the lesson proper, I started the class by letting the students pray first. I greeted them cheerfully to set their mood and to have positive outlook towards learning.  I checked then the class absence record and made a roll call on their names. We had a short class recitation during the review of the previous lesson.  I applied Whole Brain Teaching Approach that ensures the student’s maximum engagement. At first, I told them the basic rules then slowly they reminded themselves and started to respond in every clues and word signals I gave.

         I grouped the students into several groups and established a pointing system. They were eager to gain points that’s why they were all participative throughout the discussion of the concept. With the remaining time, I gave each group learning worksheet and let them answer it for 45 minutes. Presentation was conducted to elicit group’s collaborative work.  I didn’t give them a short quiz because their answered worksheets already served as their assessment.


4.2 TIME MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZING ACTIVITIES


First group to present their learning worksheet.

       During my first teaching, I handled Grade X-MIPA 7 which is composed of 34 students. In this section, we have 2 hours and 15 minutes to complete the class discussion. To manage my time, I planned the learning activities that I will give them beforehand. I have a timeline for the time framing of student’s activities.

         I have allotted 30 minutes for the routinary activities like prayer, greetings, checking of attendance and review of the previous concept. And for the discussion of concepts I have allocated 45 minutes because the information must be retained in the student’s mind through several recitations.

         On the assessment part, I allotted 45 minutes for students to brainstorm and collaborate with their group mates to answer the learning worksheet. For the group presentation, I gave them 15 minutes to summarize their worksheet.


4.3 PROBLEM-SOLVING 

        During my actual teaching, I have noticed that students had a hard time comprehending some of the concepts. While we were discussing the reproduction cycle of the fern plant, some of the students were just seating passively and just nodding their heads whenever I asked them if they understood the topic. With that kind of off-task behavior of the students, I tried to give emphasis on getting the student’s attention by strengthening the Whole Brain Teaching approach. Aside from that, I also directed the discussion on the presented visual diagram of the cycle so they will easily understand it. I have observed that they comprehensively grasp the content if there are visual presentations or graphics that appear together with the content.
        On my next class,  I continued the routine that I have tried in the first section. However, there was another difficulty that challenged me and my students.  Every section has  varying class time frame. With the section that I have handled, we only have 1 hour and 30 minutes to execute the topic. Under time constraint, I increased the phasing of some learning activities like the answering the worksheet. We double our time during the discussion of the concepts and allotted more time in the assessment.
       With these minor difficulties that I have encountered, I can affirm that a teacher would be should be excellent in making wise and practical decisions that will not hinder the teaching-learning process.

4.4 CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT


         In ensuring that the class is well managed, I used the Whole Brain Teaching Approach which increased the attention and interests of the students. With the approach that I have used I was able to demonstrate the classroom habit that I wanted them to practice. One example is raising their right hand if they want to recite and another is standing straightly when reciting.

         We also agreed to have an EOP (English Only Policy) during our class discussion although I let them speak in Bahasa when I find it difficult for them to speak English language fluently. I always see to it that all of my students will feel comfortable to express their ideas in any language they can because I know some of my students are still on progress of developing their English speaking skills. However, I want them to be acquainted with  some of English vocabulary words as well as practice their English speaking skills.

        I grouped them into five so they will have positive social interaction with their classmates and also for them to have fun  while learning. Whenever the students got the correct answer during recitation, I give them tangible awards like “Excellent” ribbons and also verbal praises to to keep them motivated and to elevate their self-esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment